FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

blade for short pips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blade for short pips?
    Posted: 04/07/2016 at 7:43pm
switching to sp on my BH, read some stuff about a blade that is hard and stiff is good for short pips (something like stiga clipper), are there any new gen blades that are also good with short pips?
Sponsored Links

viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2016 at 7:49pm
donic burn aratox 
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2016 at 8:42pm
Acoustic carbon like Ito Mima
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2016 at 9:05pm
I really like the way my 802-40 plays on the Yinhe PD-437 (Purple Dragon) I got from ColesTT.  It is not one of the really cheap blades (about $40 I think) but still less than a Clipper.  I think it is supposed to be a clipper substitute. 

Unfortunately I do not have enough experience with other blades to give a lot of comparison.  It is stiffer and a little faster than the Dawei Matrix blades I had been using.  Purple Dragon is really nice for counter-hitting with both my short pips and inverted and yet still lets someone at my level (USATT 1800) loop without much trouble.

Mark
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2016 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

switching to sp on my BH, read some stuff about a blade that is hard and stiff is good for short pips (something like stiga clipper), are there any new gen blades that are also good with short pips?
Who told you that Clipper is very stiff?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2016 at 9:26pm
Wang Zeng Yi and He Zhiwen uses Clipper CR, Tang Peng BTY ZJK Blue Dragon, Tan Ruiwu P700 and Ludeack Fleet.. to name a few pros..

Anyway, there are sereval good blades for SP. Most of people prefer stiff 7 plywood but you can see Mattias Karlson using Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon that is a flexible blade...

I would go with P700, very good stiffness/flex ratio for SP.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Johnny1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 12:11am
Stiga 145.some pro uses Stiga carbo 7.6.
Tek101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tek101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 2:42am
I have SP on my forehand and used to have it on both sides. In both occurrences I used the TSP Black Balsa 7.0. It's a softer feel and very easy to control spin and to hit with. I use Victas V>02 and when I had it on my backhand I used Joola Express both max sponge. Hope this helps

Edited by Tek101 - 04/08/2016 at 2:43am
|Xiom Ice Cream AZX|
|FH: Sword Long Can Pro Version
|BH: Xiom Vega Asia DF Max
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 3:44am
Stiga Hybrid Wood and Rosewood 7
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 12:06pm
I think you have to decide if you want carbon or no...
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Wang Zeng Yi and He Zhiwen uses Clipper CR, Tang Peng BTY ZJK Blue Dragon, Tan Ruiwu P700 and Ludeack Fleet.. to name a few pros..

Anyway, there are sereval good blades for SP. Most of people prefer stiff 7 plywood but you can see Mattias Karlson using Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon that is a flexible blade...

I have played to a guy with 889-2 with andro temper and the blade makes many knuckle balls
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Johnny1996 Johnny1996 wrote:

Please make a list of pros that ate not known with short pips and their blades

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 3:29am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Please make a list of pros that ate not known with short pips and their blades

No problem.i made a post in chinese forum regarding penholder SP players already.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 11:33am
Clipper is definitely my fav for short pips.

I suppose a cheaper alternative that plays nice IMO is the PG7 by DHS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 12:44pm

I have played to a guy with 889-2 with andro temper and the blade makes many knuckle balls
Wang Zengyi played 889-2 before.Smile
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2016 at 4:53pm

Wang Zengyi played 889-2 before.Smile

And the question is where to get the sponge wzy uses
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2016 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Who told you that Clipper is very stiff?

clipper is not stiff?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2016 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Tek101 Tek101 wrote:

I have SP on my forehand and used to have it on both sides. In both occurrences I used the TSP Black Balsa 7.0. It's a softer feel and very easy to control spin and to hit with. I use Victas V>02 and when I had it on my backhand I used Joola Express both max sponge. Hope this helps

thanks! i'll probably pick up a tsp black balsa 7 when i'm in osaka (TSP headquarters) in 2 weeks! 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2016 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

I think you have to decide if you want carbon or no...

this point exactly, most of my clubmates recommend all wood. when i played with inverted, i enjoyed some all wood (nexy peterpan and zealot) but i also liked some carbon blades (viscaria and innerforce alc), so not sure what to make of it Sleepy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2016 at 1:52am
it depends.

SP in FH: suggest 7 ply wood CL..
SP in BH: suggest carbon blade BTY ALC, 145, 7.6 carbon...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2016 at 2:11pm

it depends.

SP in FH: suggest 7 ply wood CL..
SP in BH: suggest carbon blade BTY ALC, 145, 7.6 carbon...

What makes 145 alc playable for pips and not 190 or zlc? Any pro using them?
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2016 at 9:15pm
Li xiaoxia uses 145
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 12:20am
Originally posted by khmd khmd wrote:

Li xiaoxia uses 145

She doesnt play with pips
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 1:19am

I play short pips on my BH most of my life.  It all depends on what type of short pips you are using.  Here are the general combination:

1.  With soft sponge with 1.8-1.9mm pips, you can use an OFF composite blade (i.e. TB Spirit, M. Maze, Keyshot, Acoustic Carbon, or Barwell Fleet).  This is my favorite combination.  This type of combination allows you to counter hit and counter block very well.

2.  With medium or Hard 1.8-1.9mm pips, you can use all wood blades with 7 or 9 plies.  I like Stiga Royal on Clipper CR non-WRB.

Why didn't I mention anything thinner than 1.8mm or anything 2.0mm and thicker?  Well... it's personal preference plus experience.  Anything too thin, I can't attack well.  It doesn't have the power to put the ball away.  Anything 2.0mm and thicker seems to be too thick.  They don't give the dead blocks and hits.  For my game, I stay close to the table (2 to 4 feet).  Pips with 1.8 and 1.9mm thickness fit my game perfectly.

Good luck,
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 10:56am
I've played with inverted all my life, recently changed to pips...on both sides...to try and experience something new...as I don't enjoy looping and loves to stay closer to the table...also I was a huge Johnny Huang fan growing up here in Canada during my competitive junior days.  I am currently using Stiga Optimum Sync (all-wood), but will try to switch to my carbon (offensive classic carbon) blade soon to feel the difference.  Maybe will try on Clipper too as my father has a clipper and I can probably borrow it for a few weeks since he doesn't play much anymore.  One of my practise partner who is at a very high level for women in Canada uses pips on bh and she recently changed to a stiga rosewood blade and really likes it.  She uses 1.8 victas vo>101 at the moment, she preferred that over the 2.0 thickness which she also tried.  She plays a close to table attack game and that bh is much deader now than her old combination of Butterfly challenger on a addidas carbon blade.
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
interact215 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interact215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 12:11pm
I use Victas VO > 102 (2.0 sponge) short pips on my Andro Temper Tech OFF+. The Andro is very fast, stiff, and hard, all wood. The Victas > 102 works better for me than all the other offensive SPs I've tried (Challenger, Clippa, 802-40. JOOLA Ultra Tango, JUE, Moristo SP and more). It's attacking, spin, and opening loop of backspin capability is excellent- comparable to my favorite inverted rubbers. But it still has amazing ability to absorb the power and spin of hard loops and drives at the table on passive blocks.

Even though there's many good things about Victas > 102 SP on BH, I'm trying out very thin inverted rubbers on BH because I feel SP don't give me the consistent off-the-bounce reliability I need close to the table. I guess off-the-bounce play is more important to me than the punching and blocking SP is made for.
So many rubbers, so little time.
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 1:10pm
It's personal preference right? so i'd like my blade a little bit head heavy am using amultart for that either way backhand or forehand used to be sp on both sides so i find blades that are stiff fit the most like schlager,axelo,one ply hinoki, sardius.

Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Bilbo Bilbo wrote:

I've played with inverted all my life, recently changed to pips...on both sides...to try and experience something new...as I don't enjoy looping and loves to stay closer to the table...also I was a huge Johnny Huang fan growing up here in Canada during my competitive junior days.  I am currently using Stiga Optimum Sync (all-wood), but will try to switch to my carbon (offensive classic carbon) blade soon to feel the difference.  Maybe will try on Clipper too as my father has a clipper and I can probably borrow it for a few weeks since he doesn't play much anymore.  One of my practise partner who is at a very high level for women in Canada uses pips on bh and she recently changed to a stiga rosewood blade and really likes it.  She uses 1.8 victas vo>101 at the moment, she preferred that over the 2.0 thickness which she also tried.  She plays a close to table attack game and that bh is much deader now than her old combination of Butterfly challenger on a addidas carbon blade.

Name?
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2016 at 2:36pm
mine or the good female player? haha
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2016 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Bilbo Bilbo wrote:

mine or the good female player? haha

Female player lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic