FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Arctic Wood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2017 at 4:05am
Yes, to some extent, see my first impressions above. Still did not fully recover from the injury, though, so I don't have any updates. And I don't have an Infinity to compare it to, sorry.

Edited by arg0 - 06/19/2017 at 4:07am
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2017 at 3:21am
Still tempted to buy this blade, but I'm not sure yet. I really like my Infinity VPS, although the speed could be a bit higher. However, I don't want to sacrifice too much control. I know, one goes with the other :)

@arg0 , did you already had a chance to play with it? 

Edited by p1ngp0ng3r - 06/19/2017 at 3:28am
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
carmelomaf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmelomaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2017 at 1:26am
available in Munich by Topspeed

Hard feeling, looks similar to infinity
Tibhar MX-P 50 Max| BTY Boll ALC FL | Tibhar MX-S Max

an Italian playing TT in Germany
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2017 at 6:06pm
What I also discovered and found interesting is that in the English catalog, AW is labelled as "stiff", while in a German Stiga newsfolder it is labelled as "fast steif" ("nearly stiff"). I browsed through the English 2017/18 catalog and the other blades I found being labelled as nearly stiff are Clipper (incl. CC and/or WRB) and Allround Classic Carbon.
On the other hand, if it's truly an Infinity VPS V with harder and thinner outer plies, I suppose we can expect the stiffness to be about the same, unless Stiga also changed the glueing process.

I really look forward to other player's impressions.

BTW, the suggested price on the German newsfolder is €90, that is $100 to date.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2017 at 5:45pm
Nobody else has had the chance to play with an Arctic Wood (AW) yet?
I just saw it's also not yet on the Stiga website, apart from their digital paper catalog.

Just wanted to add that the outer plies are very thin, hard, and smooth, to the point that they appear sharp and glassy (must be the Stiga "Diamond Touch" finish). When unglueing rubbers I had a tiny tiny splinter come off: it was hardly thicker than a hair and just a few mm long. It's about the same size as the grooves I showed in the wood grain and totally unnoticeable now. However, I still am a bit worried.

I normally always thinly seal my blades before glueing rubbers and the rubbers usually stick less to the wood than with the AW which I did not seal before.

Any advice on whether the "Diamond Touch" blades would still benefit from a thin layer of lacquer?
Join the Nexy Clan!
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 8:14pm
wow. based on that spec chart, i'd probably like it. i don't like hard feel though.

Edited by kurokami - 06/12/2017 at 8:15pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 5:40pm
These are the images of the tree used in the video (for what it's worth).

Looks like some kind or larch or pine, to my untrained eye. Dahurian larch can be quite irregularly shaped, and some pictures of larch grain I found on the Web are quite similar (colour aside), so maybe we have a candidate...
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

For some reason I recall reading/deducing the "Mysterious Arctic Wood" was some kind of Arctic Ash, but I don't remember why.

Possibly because of the stripes?
On this list, there are no ash trees (fraxinus) listed among the Arctic trees.
On the other hand, here it says ash trees (Common Ash, European Ash, Fraxinus excelsior) also grow in the Arctic Circle. So it may well be.
One thing is for sure, it's not salix arctica. Tongue

Join the Nexy Clan!
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 4:50pm
For some reason I recall reading/deducing the "Mysterious Arctic Wood" was some kind of Arctic Ash, but I don't remember why.
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Think a Waldner Dicon/JO Limited 2016 with a harder feeling.

Oooo, I like the sound of that.  Must.  Not.  Buy...
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 3:45pm
After having had a closer look at the Arctic Wood (AW) blade, and at the pictures of the Infinity VPS (IVPS) blade in this thread, it could well be that the AW has the same ayous core and same intermediate layers of thermally-treated (VPS) spruce, the only difference being the outer plies, where limba of the IVPS blade was replaced by the misterious arctic tree wood.
The outer plies of AW are also thinner than IVPS, which may account for AW being slightly thinner than IVPS (6.0mm vs 6.1mm).

So Arctic Wood is essentially an updated Infinity VPS, most likely with a denser outer ply, resulting in a harder/crisper feeling and a bit more speed.

Stiga should have called it Arctic Wood VPS...

Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 12:05pm
BTW, just noticed that Stiga adapted both the average weight (now 85g) and the class (now OFF) for Arctic Wood, with respect to the original annoucenment (as per the first post). See the table below.

These new values are much closer to my initial impressions.
Unfortunately, I do not have any other Stiga blades to compare it with.

Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 9:58am

First impressions form a short training session.
Note: I had shoulder pain and was playing at about 50% my usual level, today. So don't trust my impressions too much.
Tested the Arctic Wood (AW) with Vega Pro on FH and Nimbus Soft on BH.
Mainly played passively: blocks, counters, backspin.
Maybe because of the low weight of my AW, I would not classify it as OFF+; rather OFF. The feeling upon ball impact is hard, however the wood is not stiff.
Feedback/Vibration is very nice and crisp. Sound upon ball impact is full (ie, not hollow), medium-pitched, and pleasant to my ear.
The ST handle is nearly identical to the Violin Large Handle I normally play and it's likely the most comfortable ST handles I played with: not too oval, not too squared, just right. YMMV.
Stay tuned for clearer impressions as soon as I recover.
could hold promise
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2017 at 7:47am
First impressions form a short training session.
Note: I had shoulder pain and was playing at about 50% my usual level, today. So don't trust my impressions too much.
Tested the Arctic Wood (AW) with Vega Pro on FH and Nimbus Soft on BH.
Mainly played passively: blocks, counters, backspin.
Maybe because of the low weight of my AW, I would not classify it as OFF+; rather OFF. The feeling upon ball impact is hard, however the wood is not stiff.
Feedback/Vibration is very nice and crisp. Sound upon ball impact is full (ie, not hollow), medium-pitched, and pleasant to my ear.
The ST handle is nearly identical to the Violin Large Handle I normally play and it's likely the most comfortable ST handles I played with: not too oval, not too squared, just right. YMMV.
Stay tuned for clearer impressions as soon as I recover.

Edited by arg0 - 06/12/2017 at 7:49am
Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 1:41pm
Thanks arg0. I took out my ST hybrid wood. It is actually same size as the blade I am using. Strange but I remember it to be smaller. Will try it out in real play.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 4:11am
Two more pictures of the outer plies.

Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 3:32am
The straight handle cross section measures 29.5 x 23 mm.
Save

Edited by arg0 - 06/10/2017 at 4:09am
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2017 at 1:14am
They're very different from either. Stripes are wider and more coloured than in white ash, and spruce does not have grooves in the grain. I'll try posting a better picture to show the difference.
Join the Nexy Clan!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 10:49pm
good for you. my arctic will be sent by stiga next week. teh outer plies look closer to a white ash or spruce
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 6:06pm
Please take a picture of the full handle when you have a chance.  I had one ST from Stiga " Hybrid Wood" and it was too small.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 5:03pm
Doesn't look bad at all. Moreover, the blade is much lighter than I expected. Expecting the average to be 95g (as per Stiga), I asked for a light one, possibly around 85g, and actually got 82g. That's perfectly fine, I'm not into heavy and fast blades anyway.

This is my first Stiga blade with ST grip and I must say it fits my hand very well. The handle is on the thicker side (unlike some thin ST handles of Nittaku and Butterfly blades) and similar in size and shape to Violin and Acoustic Large Handle. The shape of the cross-section is a golden average between oval (e.g., Donic ST) and squarish (e.g., Butterfly M. Maze ST).
If this is the size and shape of the typical Stiga ST "classic" handle, I feel I should have given more attention to Stiga during my EJ career (which is slowly getting to an end).

Anyhoo, from the ball bounce tests it seems to be a fast blade, quite 'reactive' (as opposite to 'captive', to XIOM terminology), and hard. But it does not seem to be very stiff. So it may turn out that OFF+ is overrated. At least, that's what I hope. I'm not into fast blades, and I just decided to give this blade a go because of the looks and the hype, and because I was curious to try a Stiga ST handle.
Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:46pm
doesn't look so bad, could only see one rough area.  a photo on a Chinese website had more rough areas.  I guess visual attributes are important, but lets see how this mystery wood plays.
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:42pm
Looking forward to your playing impressions!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:31pm
Arrived today!
The mysterious surface wood is unusual: it seems very hard, however it is not completely even, but has tiny grooves along the grain. A bit like limba, but less dense. I've never seen such groves in spruce or cypress wood, which normally have a very smooth grain (edit: my point was that I was expecting the outer ply of Arctic wood to have a similar structure to cypress or spruce, which are both conifers, but this is not the case. So either there are conifers with different structure, or trees in the Arctic that are not conifers). [update: my current best guess is that the wood is sorbus aucuparia (rowan), which is a hardwood, see my posts later in this thread]
I'll try to take a better picture later. Save Save

Edited by arg0 - 06/24/2017 at 8:01pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

good price, I checked a site that is charging more than 100.  I just ordered it from TT11 - don't usually do this - ordering without seeing a review - hope for the best

TT11 has a 30-days no-questions-asked return policy (customer pays return shipping, though), so if in the meantime reviews come out that picture the blade differently from what you expected, you will be able to send it back (if you did not test it yourself, that is).

Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 5:29pm

BTW, and in response to one of my posts above, the price is way lower than the $120 first reported. Ordered mine for less than $80 shipped.
good price, I checked a site that is charging more than 100.  I just ordered it from TT11 - don't usually do this - ordering without seeing a review - hope for the best

Edited by tom - 06/06/2017 at 5:29pm
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 4:29pm
BTW, and in response to one of my posts above, the price is way lower than the $120 first reported. Ordered mine for less than $80 shipped.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Ordered one about one month ago, still waiting for it to be shipped.
Other shops appear to have it in stock by now, though.
strange.  good luck with the order.

Sure, thanks. I fully trust the shop, it's just that they do not have it in stock yet. When I ordered they had predicted to get it on 22 May, but now the product page still says "ships in 4-8 days".
Other shops, such as tabletennis11, apper to have it in stock, though.

Looking forward to the first review.
Join the Nexy Clan!
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 3:29pm

strange.  good luck with the order.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2017 at 3:05pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic