FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

violin carbon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2017 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Sedis Sedis wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

still around $130 at tt11:

I have a hard time understanding the strategy: on sale when it comes out: can somebody comment?

I assume it might vary depending on where you are in the world, but with TT11's % discount scheme the blade at standard price would qualify you for a reasonable discount in any case, add a couple of rubbers (or buy a pair of blades) and you could pay this price even when the blade is not on offer.

This. You can always get expensive blades at about 20-25% discount.
Moreover, tt11 claims they randomly select their weekly specials, so if it's truly random, it could have been coincidence.
Otoh, maybe they want to push a number of blades out early to ensure a number of reviews.
On top of that tt-japan and iruiru also have/had them 20% off even before it was released.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2017 at 2:11am

still around $130 at tt11:

I have a hard time understanding the strategy: on sale when it comes out: can somebody comment?

I assume it might vary depending on where you are in the world, but with TT11's % discount scheme the blade at standard price would qualify you for a reasonable discount in any case, add a couple of rubbers (or buy a pair of blades) and you could pay this price even when the blade is not on offer.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 6:35am
The feel is more solid dan acoustic carbon,speed a bit slower.
My acoustic carbon is 92 gr, violin carbon 91 gr

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 4:39am
I will order one aswell in the coming weeks, hopefully it plays close to acoustic carbon, which I like but I prefer this handle colors (matches my club colors).
I actually have Acoustic Carbon with MJ handles but its around 92g because of the custom handles I believe.
Blade: Viscaria
FH: Dignics 05 2.1
BH: ABS 2 pro
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 3:30am
I will test and compare to Acoustic inner and outer carbon today, test bouncing with ball.

Edited by peter79 - 12/08/2017 at 3:30am
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 11:45pm
seems like frequency wise its close to the Acoustic Carbon which isnt too surprising I guess.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 5:35pm

I make it 28mm by 23mm

Nittaku Violin Carbon ST handle base

Sorry if the above image is already overquoted (previous posters, please consider removing it from your quotation, if it's not essential), but I wanted to post it next to an image of regular Violin LG (with Large ST handle).
As you can see, regardless of the dimensions, the shape is clearly different: more round-ish on the Violin Carbon (just like regular Violin) and more elongated, with flatter top/bottom surfaces, on the Violin LG:

Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 4:50pm

I still find shocking that I could get a couple at $127.53 a piece; for such a new product that so many people are waiting for, the move is eerie. The uncanny offer is still available 3 days later.

I would have snatched 'em up, but for Europe, with taxes, it was more like $162 a piece, so still good but not that great...
If you decide to sell one, I'll get it for the price you paid, if you include shipping.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 4:45pm
To anyone interested. Violin Carbon ST is out of stock at tt11 and not expected to become available again before the end of the weekly special offer.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 4:20pm

I make it 28mm by 23mm

how does it play? bring it on! Tongue

I'll get a chance to try it tomorrow. I have been wanting a carbon blade with a harder outer veneer but that is not too stiff and in the off-/off range or a while, so in theory this ticks a lot of boxes for me. 

Edited by Sedis - 12/08/2017 at 1:23am
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 2:14pm
I make it 28mm by 23mm

Nittaku Violin Carbon ST handle base
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 10:33pm
Yeah, the acoustic/violin handles are tiny. Remember that when buying, and possibly wait for the LG version of the Violin Carbon.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 2:55pm
I emailed TT1 and inquired about the dimensions of the ST handle.
The reason is that I am very picky about handle sizes. I stopped playing with regular Violin for a few years because I felt the ST handle was too thin, until Violin LG (L-Size handle) came out.

Their reply was:
  • Violin (ST) handle - 98mm long, 28mm wide, 24mm thick.
  • Violin Carbon (ST) handle - 10cm long, 28mm wide, 24mm thick.
  • Violin LG (ST) handle - 29mm wide, 23mm thick.
I suppose this means that the handle of Violin Carbon is the same as regular Violin.
Interestingly, the handles of regular Violin and Violin carbon appear to be thicker (and rounder) than Violin LG.

This does not completely match my own measurements, which are:
  • Violin regular ST handle is about 26.5 x 23 mm, circumference is 82 mm.
  • Violin LG ST handle is about 28.5 x 23 mm, circumference is 87 mm.
  • Handle length is 100 mm and head size is 149 x 156 mm in both cases.
I would be grateful if one of the first owners of Violin Carbon ST could post dimensions and maybe a picture of the handle butt.

Join the Nexy Clan!
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 10:16am

I got a couple in the mail and I’ll get them Friday Via DHL. Hoping for custom fées to dissipate in the ether.
I did not want to unglue my current violin setup so I went ahead and bought the same rubbers than now but in max: r47 bh and ova fh. Can’t wait!

Don't forget to put in your review as soon as you get them so that I can also get them while on sale.
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 11:18pm
Any reviews on this blade yet?
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 2:15am
So this is the end of the testing session and we have to keep an eye on the FS section?
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 7:01pm
25% off at TT11 (weekly special)!
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 5:05pm

I asked tt11 on this site if we could start a testing session and I volunteered to conduct it. If it works I will accept applications from USA only but I will gladly make an exception for you. Actually they should send you a couple too to do the same in Europe. Please ask them and I’m sure Slevin and Matt will support you.

As to the testing in Europe: another option could be that, if the blades for the US testing are meant to be returned to TT11, I could organise and continue the testing in Europe with the same blades...
Or, I could indeed organise a separate testing in Europe. But let's see if the US testing goes through, first.
Thanks.

Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 3:03am
Thanks fatt for including me. If there's one test blade, I can be last on the list, and will then send it back to TT1 in Estonia.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 5:36pm
Eventually. Looking forward to the first review!

Edited by arg0 - 12/02/2017 at 5:38pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
azv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 11:05am
Available in tt11
TSP Swat, V15 Extra, LP
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 9:11pm
Well..Yes hide does remain flexible in that when heated it can be repaired.

I can see by your other numerous posts you are in doubt about hide glue being used in the violin.

I have done lots of research on multiple forums.. guitar making, violin rebuilding and stringed instrument making  as well as many sports in my quest for making a better blade.

Even Stradivarius and how he used hide...quite interesting.

I also have made over 230 paddles and have a good idea how the process is done.
And Yes I do believe its hide that is transmitting tonal waves that makes it different

When they say made like stringed instruments and the most famous ones are made with hide glue
Why would you think any further, just enjoy 

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

Hmmm, somethings wrong then

Hide is superior to other glues for transmitting tonal waves between wood veneers because of how hard it cures and it pulls wood together as it cures.
 probably why it has the feel like no other blade.

Hide also comes in granules, flakes and flat sheets. lots of woodworkers, guitar makers and violin makers use hide and some with carbon too

I see you strongly believe in hide glue being used in Violin. I'm just not sure whether your belief is based on reality.
"because of how hard it cures": glad to see you changed your mind, because last time we discussed you stated hide glue remains flexible.
"probably why it has the feel like no other blade": maybe, but I know of no evidence that hide glue is indeed used.
"lots of woodworkers, guitar makers and violin makers use hide and some with carbon too": would be glad to know that it can be made, but at present I'm rather agnostic. What are your sources?

I'm not into woodworking, but as far as I can read hide glue does not stick (well) to carbon fibre, so it cannot be used for laminating carbon fibre to wood. It can be used for "buried reinforcement", when carbon fibre is completely surrounded by wood, but that's not the case in table tennis.
Source: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354063

Citing from another forum: Gluing carbon fibre to wood.
Q: I was thinking about making a brace for a failing acoustic of mine that incorporates the use of carbon fibre. [...] What glue would work for this? Epoxy? Gorilla glue?
A: Hide glue. Bwah hah hah! Just joking. Epoxy - pretty much any kind.

So, at least for the wood layers contacting the carbon fibre layers, I have no evidence that hide glue can be used. As such, I have to conclude that if hide glue is used at all, it is just for gluing the core to the intermediate plies.
Besides, I haven't read any review of Violin Carbon yet. It may well be that it does not have the same feel as the original Violin...

Edited by arg0 - 11/14/2017 at 5:53pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 4:06pm
Hmmm, somethings wrong then

Hide is superior to other glues for transmitting tonal waves between wood veneers because of how hard it cures and it pulls wood together as it cures.
 probably why it has the feel like no other blade.

Hide also comes in granules, flakes and flat sheets. lots of woodworkers, guitar makers and violin makers use hide and some with carbon too

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 1:08am
Carbon fiber and hide glue don't stick together, literally.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 9:44pm
Yep, another Hide Glue Wonder coming out to choose from.
These Blades do have a different feel.

If you check stringed insturments  hot hide is the choice glue.
because of creep.

This makes the blade making more extensive and time consuming
Hence more expensive.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 8:55pm
I ordered 91 gr FL which is the heaviest ttjapan has, will arrive soon.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 6:38pm
Iruiru seems to have it in stock, now:
http://iruiru.com/goods_page.php?ct=B&mk=D&gd=BD345
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2017 at 6:13pm
OK, one more example of bad automatic translation on the Nittaku website. The announced release date is not 11 October, as in the first post, it's 10 November (11月10日). So, still a few more weeks to go.
Oh, and iruiru has it for preorder for 16000JPY, as well.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2017 at 4:33pm
Hmm, 11 October has passed, anyone has bought/pre-ordered one?
[[Update: just realised the original announcement says 10 Nov, not 11 Oct: see my next post]]

I see it's not yet listed on tt11 or iruiru, while tt-japan has it listed at 16000JPY (that's 4000 off the list price on Nittaku's website) with coming soon/sold out status. Any other trusted shop where it can be ordered?

Edited by arg0 - 10/16/2017 at 6:14pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic