FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

illegal serves removal free arm??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

P.S.: Yes, I'll be there - no way I will miss a tournament at the best venue in England!

nice comment

Just stating the obvious:
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:13pm
Wow.  Nice.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 2:11pm
thanks vvk1. it is a pretty splendid venue for a 1 or 2 star.
cheers Baal, next time you are in England you would be welcome to enter!! LOL
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 3:06pm
been awhile.  I visited APW46 last time.  A great time that has to be repeated if only i can get there.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 4:22pm

That is a VERY nice venue.  Look at that court space.  Wow!

Why are there three chairs for each table? For towels?
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Why are there three chairs for each table? For towels?

This is in the UK.  They probably having tea between games Smile.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 4:56pm
The middle chair is for the umpire, the other two are for whatever the players decide to use them for. Towels, drinks, or to sit down between matches. It was a veteran (over 40s) tournament after all.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 5:32pm
hey if you guys want to come over and visit us ill arrange a table tennis 'rider cup'.
USA v Europe.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

The middle chair is for the umpire, the other two are for whatever the players decide to use them for. Towels, drinks, or to sit down between matches. It was a veteran (over 40s) tournament after all.

So the umpire doesn't move around to get a better view of the serve legality, guess the umpires are on non aerobic format for exercise, LOL.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

hey if you guys want to come over and visit us ill arrange a table tennis 'rider cup'.
USA v Europe.

It sort of has been done, mog1111.  In 2000 in Manchester, a USA vs. England veterans' hardbat tete a tete was played best 2 of 3 games to 21 points.  England was represented by Dennis Neale, a former international, Henry Buist, England's best full-time hardbat player, and Jeff Ingber, a top junior player for England in the early 1950s.

America's stalwarts were Marty Reisman, winner of the 1949 British Open, Steve Berger. a student of 10-time U.S. champion Dick Miles and later to become the 2000 National Hardbat Singles Champion, and Scott Gordon, substituting for one of America's best hardbat players, John Tannehill, whose passport didn't arrive in time for him to be able to play.  I was there both to watch this shootout and serve, if need be, as target practice for Neale, Buist, and Ingber if one of our players were to come down with a case of scurvy or a torn anterior cruciate ligament or something.

We Yanks did not fare too well.  Reisman defeated Ingber, but lost to Buist and Neale.  Berger lost to Neale and I believe Buist, but defeated Ingber.  Scott Gordon played very well against Neale, but lost to him, Buist, and Ingber. 

The showdown was a lot of fun to watch, and the hospitality shown us was first-rate.  Mancunian veteran table tennis players recognize good pong when they see it.  One of them said, and here I am paraphrasing somewhat, bloody hell! I thought I knew what table tennis was, but this is really table tennis!

Straight, no chaser.

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 6:53pm
that's a great story.
I don't think I could muster players of that standard together quite?

Although Dennis Neale does a lot of coaching and I often see him coaching juniors at tournaments.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 8:10pm
How many faults did they call?

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 8:19pm

Neither one of them removed their free arm after the ball toss.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

I agree with you, LUCKYLOOP, but we gotta remember this:  an illegal serve isn't an illegal serve unless an umpire calls it as such, which hardly ever happens, unless it happens to some poor dude or dudette at a crucial point in a match.

Thus, for all practical purposes, there is no such thing as an illegal serve in competitive table tennis.LOL
bmann1942
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 10:38pm

What? I see both of them removing their free arm after the toss. The free arm can't magically disappear instantly after the ball leaves the palm, you know. 

Edited by ZingyDNA - 09/29/2017 at 10:38pm
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

What? I see both of them removing their free arm after the toss. The free arm can't magically disappear instantly after the ball leaves the palm, you know. 

Their serves seem fine to me. If you want to see blatantly illegal never moving free arm out of the way, then watch pretty much any of He Zhi Wen's serves.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:14pm
The explanation is like in the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Aliens have taken the form of nearly every ITTF international referee, and some forum posters and moderators, with the evil aim of destroying table tennis through illegal serving. In this way they will control the planet.

How else can we explain that these serves are almost never called.

They are also responsible for ZJK fan girlz.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The explanation is like in the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Aliens have taken the form of nearly every ITTF international referee, and some forum posters and moderators, with the evil aim of destroying table tennis through illegal serving. In this way they will control the planet.

How else can we explain that these serves are almost never called.

They are also responsible for ZJK fan girlz.

Well Tweedledum my Tweedledee!  You're actually making more sense than I ever assumed you could.  What other explanation can there be that mischievous malicious aliens, most likely those draconianesque Spalbirds from the newly discovered Kuiper Belt planet Mendo, have managed to co-opt and zombiefy virtually all ITTF umpires, and not to mention but I'll mention it anyway, have lobobotomized the brains of various and sundry forum posters and moderators to table tennis forums, with the posible exception of the Yahoo Hardbat forum.  

No two ways about it, the table tennis that some of you have come to know and love is doomed.  In the words of Queen Anne Boleyn shortly before she was to be beheaded, there is no remedy.  Oh death rock table tennis asleep, and in sad cypress (hinoki) let it be laid.  Not even ZJK's fan girlz can resusitate it.  

I fear that divine intervention too is out of the question.

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/30/2017 at 12:47am
bmann1942
Mytoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 12:31pm
Actually, there was a proposal in the last AGM/BoD to abandon the "remove the free arm from the area between the ball and the netposts"-rule. The rationale was that umpires fault players for this rule, even if the ball is not hidden for the other player. It could typical be "Tristan Flore" service, where the free arm and hand is in the area for the whole high toss, but is removed when the ball is falling. Furthermore, the rationale was that the rule "the ball shall not be hidden for the receiver" should be enough. The proposal did not pass, but it is likely to pop up again next time.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 4:37am
Baal, consulted with my international umpire and he confirmed I was correct and the arm should be removed immediately, not left dangled and just moved last minute.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 4:47am
The problem with that, mog, is the evidence of how international umpires actually call serves. The way they call them is consistent with my comment on the last page.

It always pays to watch what people actually do.

See also Zingy's comment which hitsvthe nail on the head.

You are right about umpire vantage point though.

Since I played a long time in hidden serve era, things seem a lot easier now so I don't get angry about it very often. (And can retaliate if it comes to that, I spent a long time learning hiding technique way back when it was legal).

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 6:17am
So the original post by mog is confirmed correct by an international umpire.  Regardless of whether or not it gets called, it's still the rule.  You do have to allow for the momentum of the hand when projecting upwards, but surely it should be removed by the time it starts its downward path.

Edit: BTW, Jennifer gets a warning for not removing the free arm for the serve at 2:30 in the link that igorponger posted above.

Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 10/09/2017 at 6:41am
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 6:50am
to be fair I just switched to lp and in practice sunday I got my partner to do hide serves and other illegal serves and it did not cause me a problem
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:47am
I see this thread title and every time think that removing the free arm seems a little harsh, to say nothing about the problems with throwing the ball up with only one arm.Shocked
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:52am
 2.6.5 of the service rules state :
 " As soon as the ball has been projected (my emphasis), the server's free arm and hand shall be     removed from the space between the ball and the net......... "

That is as plain as it can be. 
 No one is asking for the hands to disappear instantly and really, is there any need to have an   international umpire or any umpire to determine what the sentence mean ?
 There will be no end to this as in another thread on whether an illegal serve is cheating or otherwise.
Iloveplayingtabletennis
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 9:10am
tt needs 3 judges, one for net, and two behind table (one per side), to use camera and react quickly after service.
It would be even easier to make software to signal if the ball is hidden from camera behind table in any moment during service. Today's cameras and softwares are very advanced and detecting one white circle object on non'white backgroud would be easy.

Edited by garwor - 10/09/2017 at 9:10am
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

2.6.5 of the service rules state :
 " As soon as the ball has been projected (my emphasis), the server's free arm and hand shall be     removed from the space between the ball and the net......... "

That is as plain as it can be. 
 No one is asking for the hands to disappear instantly and really, is there any need to have an   international umpire or any umpire to determine what the sentence mean ?
 There will be no end to this as in another thread on whether an illegal serve is cheating or otherwise.

2.06.05 As soon as the ball has been projected, the server’s free arm and hand shall be removed from the space between the ball and the net.
The space between the ball and the net is defined by the ball, the net and its indefinite upward extension.

The part I put I put in bold is equally clear.  If the ball is above the arm, the arm is not in the space between the ball and the net.  The rule is specific about the space above the ball, and yet says nothing about the space below the ball.  It is really easy to draw a conclusion if you don't write down the whole rule, and and a different conclusion when you include the definition that is part of the rule.  I strongly suspect the rule is written the way it is because of the issue that ZingyDNA mentioned.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

So the original post by mog is confirmed correct by an international umpire.  Regardless of whether or not it gets called, it's still the rule.  You do have to allow for the momentum of the hand when projecting upwards, but surely it should be removed by the time it starts its downward path.

Edit: BTW, Jennifer gets a warning for not removing the free arm for the serve at 2:30 in the link that igorponger posted above.

I don't know the exact words mog used when he talked to his international umpire.  His phrase "not left dangled and just moved last minute" is not at all what I am saying is allowed but also not may players do that.  And I have learned that subtle details of wording are crucial, and with no offense intended to mog, the only thing I really have to go on is what actual international umpires actually do in the most important events in our sport.  Bear in mind, the highest levels of umpires are used at the most important events.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

I don't know the exact words mog used when he talked to his international umpire.  His phrase "not left dangled and just moved last minute" is not at all what I am saying is allowed but also not may players do that.  And I have learned that subtle details of wording are crucial, and with no offense intended to mog, the only thing I really have to go on is what actual international umpires actually do in the most important events in our sport.  Bear in mind, the highest levels of umpires are used at the most important events.

It's a bit unfortunate, but even the highest level of umpires do not enforce the ITTF's own rules often.  They obviously know the rules, but there's been such a history of not enforcing the rules that it's very hard to break that momentum.  
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 10:35am
So, why ittf don't change rule to The space between the ball and the net is defined by the ball, the net and its indefinite upward AND DOWNWARD extension.
These two words can solve many conflicts and time.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic