FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Transition from H3Neo to Euro/Jap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transition from H3Neo to Euro/Jap
    Posted: 01/10/2018 at 12:10am
Hi,

I would like to know if people have moved to anything other than Tenergy from a boosted H3N and their experience in doing so?

I had started using H3N about 3 years back and earlier used to play with T05 on FH. I had some trouble moving from T05 but after a good 3-4 months, I was set with H3N and my overall game has improved considerably since.

But boosting regularly is a hassle and wastes a lot of time (which I don't have with 2 kids @ home now).

Has anyone moved from H3 to something not T05? A hard tensor like MX-S or R50? I am worried about the unlearning and the re-learning now that I only play 3 times a week.

Thanks

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 01/10/2018 at 12:11am
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 1:08am
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone moved from H3 to something not T05? A hard tensor like MX-S or R50? I am worried about the unlearning and the re-learning now that I only play 3 times a week.

Thanks

When I got tired of boosting H3, I found Sanwei Target National. Like H3, it still has the superior short game and service. Still allows looping with either topsheet or driving with sponge.  It likes to play on flexible blades but might be good on some composites. But it takes a good 10 hours of hitting to break in. And I'm not sure how consistent it is manufactured.

But if you want something that has more of the speed of boosted H3, still enough spin the current crop modern Chinese Hybids (like Stiga Genesis M and Joola Tango Ultra) might be what you are looking for... 

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 2:05am
If you've been using H3N commercial, just move to National and put in a couple weeks to adjust (w/o boosting). That's what I did in the exactly same situation. I had to put some weight on the top of the blade, though (the new sheet was lighter), but after a month of play I am able to engage the unboosted sponge properly with no problems at all (using Prov #20 39 deg on a Clipper).
P.S. And yes, I was feeling it sucked during the first 2-3 sessions

Edited by al_111 - 01/10/2018 at 2:09am
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 2:09am
I moved from Chinese rubbers like H3N 4 years ago. It took me a long journey to switch to EUR JAP tensors. (several reasons my level wasn't good to analyze and switch faster and I did it without coach) I am happy now playing with tensors like tibhar aurus series and rasanter.

Less efforts, more margin for errors, more stable - that what I get now and don't even think of moving back.
The only drawback I can't kill with one shot but I get more points with more consistent game and series of top spins.
wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 2:17am
I have found pleasure in switching to Non Chinese rubber. No need boosting. No need 2 weeks to break in rubber. No dusty topsheet. No heavy rubber. More lasting before changing a new rubber. I use GOLD ARC8. And less effort in driving the ball now. Switch!
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 5:06am
If you enjoy the deadly spin of a tacky hard rubber but dont feel like boosting try 729 Battle 2.
It's basically like an upgraded h3.. it has speed for drives and smashes, it has some catapult and tackiness is turned up to 11.
Sure the soft euro rubbers are easier to play with but theyre not as rewarding for a really good stroke
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 8:28am
Strictly from a topspin and driving perspective, Stiga genesis M is very very spinny without any change in technique. I can't comment about short game and serving/receiving but I did do some topspin rallies with my coach's setup and it was superb
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 8:44am

Thanks

Other than T05, BW2 and Rakza 7 are worth a try.  If you can afford it, SpinArt.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 9:27am
MX-S is pretty easy if you are coming from H3.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 10:32am
If you still want some tack, but extra ESN speed and catapult, Tibhar Hybrid K1

If you want grippy ESN (non-tacky), you need something hard and spinny.  MX-S and Omega V Asia are the two obvious ones.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

If you still want some tack, but extra ESN speed and catapult, Tibhar Hybrid K1

If you want grippy ESN (non-tacky), you need something hard and spinny.  MX-S and Omega V Asia are the two obvious ones.

From what I've heard, i believe Joola Golden Tango is conceptually similar to Tibhar Kybrid K1 as well
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

What about Karis H?
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

If you enjoy the deadly spin of a tacky hard rubber but dont feel like boosting try 729 Battle 2.
It's basically like an upgraded h3.. it has speed for drives and smashes, it has some catapult and tackiness is turned up to 11.
I second that; there's a difference with H3 in a throw, though, - it's pretty low in B2. Big Dipper is another successful hybrid with a throw close to that of H3. There's also Apollo 5 but I haven't tried it, so cannot make comments.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 3:34pm
I will probably be joining this train as well. This body can't hold up to the physical effort needed for H3 or H8 anymore. In addition to MX-S and OVA (which are excellent suggestions), I'll throw MX-P in the mix although that is an additional step up in speed. 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 3:42pm

Hi,

I would like to know if people have moved to anything other than Tenergy from a boosted H3N and their experience in doing so?

I had started using H3N about 3 years back and earlier used to play with T05 on FH. I had some trouble moving from T05 but after a good 3-4 months, I was set with H3N and my overall game has improved considerably since.

But boosting regularly is a hassle and wastes a lot of time (which I don't have with 2 kids @ home now).

Thanks

Looking at the suggestions, I'm starting to wonder what aspects of your play with h3n you most want to preserve.  E.g.  Linearity? (Non-bouncy short game/low catapult + tons of upper gears)  Looping stroke?  Arc?  Lower slip on brush contact? 
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 6:16pm
OP, why do you need to boost h3n "regularly"? And how frequent is "regularly"?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

Looking at the suggestions, I'm starting to wonder what aspects of your play with h3n you most want to preserve.  E.g.  Linearity? (Non-bouncy short game/low catapult + tons of upper gears)  Looping stroke?  Arc?  Lower slip on brush contact? 

Non-bouncy short game, dead feel in short game, high top-end speed and most importantly grip at every angle.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

I don't boost now, but when I did, the regimen was as follows:
1. 1 Layer of glue of new rubber H3n 40 Commercial or Provincial Blue.
2. 3 thin Kailin or Seamoon Layers (Seamoon on H3N 39)
3. Peel off glue, glue to blade with 1 layer (I like direct feel more than cushioned feel)
4. Play for 3 weeks, reboost with 1 layer.
5. Reboost 1 more time after 2 weeks, switch to new rubber

I could get 2 months of very good performance out of 1 sheet.
Any Euro rubber which gives me 2 months would be great. I don't mind switching every 2 months, money is not so much an issue.
With T05, I don't the cushioned feel while looping and the softness on drives. 

Thanks
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 11:10pm

Non-bouncy short game, dead feel in short game, high top-end speed and most importantly grip at every angle.

Hmm, depends on what you have in mind by grip at every angle: esp, on the amount of spin you are working against. Afaik good tacky rubbers like the H3N will always have the edge over non tacky rubbers as far as angles that won’t slip when countering heavy incoming spin. If that’s your priority you might want to look into tacky rubbers with good speed glue effect out of the box. (Many suggestions above; there are also the few ESN tacky rubbers that might be worth a look.)

If you’re ok giving up a little slip resistance, you might be very happy with the more linear, less bouncy ESN/jap offerings folks have suggested above. I’ve only tried the medium sponge, but I wonder if Karis m+ or h might also work for you. (Very linear, and the topsheet can take extreme spin.)
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 11:50pm
+Tibhar Aurus Prime. No problem@all. Good spinning rubber while much better direct play - drive, block, counterpunch - than any Tenergy and/or Hurricane.     
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 2:05am
On a hard blade Aurus Prime will do the job. Although it has a lot of catapult when hit hard. Vega pro is not so jumpy and the top sheet is even harder and more direct - good alternative. Vega China is closest to H3 tensor I have tried. Xiom Tau is tackier, but more jumpy, so  vega china has more chinese feel.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 4:32am

I don't boost now, but when I did, the regimen was as follows:
1. 1 Layer of glue of new rubber H3n 40 Commercial or Provincial Blue.
2. 3 thin Kailin or Seamoon Layers (Seamoon on H3N 39)
3. Peel off glue, glue to blade with 1 layer (I like direct feel more than cushioned feel)
4. Play for 3 weeks, reboost with 1 layer.
5. Reboost 1 more time after 2 weeks, switch to new rubber

I could get 2 months of very good performance out of 1 sheet.
Any Euro rubber which gives me 2 months would be great. I don't mind switching every 2 months, money is not so much an issue.
With T05, I don't the cushioned feel while looping and the softness on drives. 

Thanks

So one sheet of H3N lasted you only 2 months? Omg, wow. Is there a video of you playing?

Edited by vvk1 - 01/11/2018 at 4:33am
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 6:10am
Self-proclaimed USATT ~2050. Should know what he is doing.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 7:44am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

2050 Sleepy... I have improved considerably since then.
I do know that the crop of rubbers like MX-P, MX-S, R50 will probably not do well on my expectations. I tried the R50 some time ago on a friends blade and it was OK for me, I neither liked or disliked it. In fact I use R47 2mm on my BH.

I was looking more for suggestions on hybrid Chinese rubbers and some offbeat 50 Degree ESN rubbers which have a hard topsheet (something like an improved Sigma 1 Pro).

Staying in India I do not have access to a lot of this stuff, especially the rubbers from Haifu, Lidu, etc...and the long shipping time and poor customs office here does not help either. 
I do know my stuff...check out my stash of boosters https://photos.app.goo.gl/0GiUQvPHqYNLsE503
I do not find time to play when I visit Beijing as that is for business so having suggestions up front does help.
...and what I do not want to waste is time....money is ok...but time...no. I could go back to T05 if I find nothing or I may stick to H3N and continue boosting when required.

I hope you do not mind me asking for suggestions.

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 01/11/2018 at 7:49am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 7:47am

So one sheet of H3N lasted you only 2 months? Omg, wow. Is there a video of you playing?

Let me try to get some video for you in a week or so...the only reason I don't save video for long is that I look too fat....fatter than I look in the mirror.
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 8:58am

Not sure I get this post, there are many many 2000+ players who are clueless or not too knowledgeable about equipment.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 9:53am

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

What about Karis H?

He wants something more loop and loop drive oriented.
Cybershape Carbon
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 11:02am

I do know that the crop of rubbers like MX-P, MX-S, R50 will probably not do well on my expectations. I tried the R50 some time ago on a friends blade and it was OK for me, I neither liked or disliked it. In fact I use R47 2mm on my BH.

I haven't used it myself, but from quite a lot of reading, the consensus about MX-S is that it is extremely different from the rest of the Evolution line, relying on racket movement for spin and power rather than on catapult; from what you say above it may be much more up your alley. 

The discussions on this thread are helpful IMO: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71010&PN=1&title=tibhar-evolution-mxs

If you don't mind the German (or google translate) these two posts make for a very thorough review:
http://www.tt-spin.de/tibhar-evolution-mx-s/
http://www.tt-spin.de/tibhar-evolution-belagtest/

Edited by ohwell - 01/11/2018 at 11:02am
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 11:26am

I was looking more for suggestions on hybrid Chinese rubbers and some offbeat 50 Degree ESN rubbers which have a hard topsheet (something like an improved Sigma 1 Pro).

...and what I do not want to waste is time....money is ok...but time...no. I could go back to T05 if I find nothing or I may stick to H3N and continue boosting when required.

One thought in favor of finding a non-tacky, grippy Jap/ESN rubber that has most of the properties you want (low bounce in short game, very high spin and speed with very high racket velocity, good grip on the ball at a wide variety of racket angle, etc.) instead of a hybrid Chinese style rubber: it might make it much easier to let go of the fact that it doesn't play like a boosted H3N.  

There are the psychological reasons - e.g. where something very similar but still different can feel more frustrating than something more obviously different.  I'm less sure about that, but I suspect there might be design reasons too: it just might be very difficult to achieve the kind of performance people want from tacky topsheets without speed glue or booster (esp at mid gears, where tackiness is arguably more of a drawback for most purposes.)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 11:44am
Zeio's main point is that he is an experienced player who has tried a lot of equipment. He will come to his own conclusions.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic