Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EL-S or Bluestorm Z1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EL-S or Bluestorm Z1
    Posted: 04/01/2018 at 1:29pm
I been going back and forth between the 2 rubbers, not good effect to tell which one has more spin. anyone who try both , need some opinions ...
Sponsored Links

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 3:46pm
I have played both rubbers and to me they are very different. EL-S is slower and generates a little more spin on slower shots. Z1 is faster and on all out strokes generates more spin. My issue with the new Bluestorm rubbers (Z1/Z2) was the throw angle. It may have been the blades but it just seemed really low.

Edited by jpenmaster - 04/01/2018 at 3:46pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 4:57pm
To me Z1 throw angle is higher than that of MX-P which is higher than that of EL-S.
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 5:34pm
Not worry about the throw at all, it’s spin I need , maybe should just go back to T05
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 7:20pm
I went back to T05..
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

I went back to T05..

👍😂
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 8:14pm
Yep, the new crop of esn rubbers all seem to have very low spin and speed on slower shots.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Yep, the new crop of esn rubbers all seem to have very low spin and speed on slower shots.

Every rubber has that problem vs Tenergy 05.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 11:46pm
It’s a shame the newer esn still have issues, with these new balls my loops are getting crushed , trying to save money and still need to go back to T05
CroNone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CroNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2018 at 11:58pm
I'm really liking BSZ1. I play a more forward loop game than a spin game but honestly, if you need spin and brush hard Z1 offers plenty. The speed of agressive loops is amazing I find.
Z1 on FH with Viscaria.
If you play a spin game T05 is a great choice obviously.

Edited by CroNone - 04/01/2018 at 11:59pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Every rubber has that problem vs Tenergy 05.

I feel the latest generation has gone way more linear than the previous ones. I don't know but it seems to me that they are going the hurricane route!
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2018 at 2:25pm

The following is just personal observation. Yours may vary:

IMHO, not quite true. It is just that the good varietals of current gen rubbers (in discussion) like Rhyzer 48 or Bluestorm Z1 have harder sponge than T05. In reality, this property depends on:
  1. sponge hardness
  2. sponge pore size
  3. topsheet hardness
  4. topsheet stiffness
  5. pip structure
But let us just talk about the impact of the 1st attribute - sponge hardness (to keep things simple).

1. Find the rubbers offering most spin at their sponge hardness, starting from 37 deg to 50deg (say)
2. Compare bounciness and spin on low velocity impact of that rubber vs T05

You shall find that at very low velocity impact strokes (slow ball + slow blade speed), these softer rubbers (like T05FX or R42, for example) offer more spin and are more bouncy than T05. But of course, once velocity of impact increases, T05 spin and power is greater.

This same property of European / Japanese rubbers can be extrapolated to rubbers with sponge harder than T05 sponge - optimal spin for harder sponged rubbers occurs at higher velocity impact strokes than for T05.

This is why, the harder sponged rubbers are marketed to higher rated players - the assumption being that because of their superior timing & technique, they can generated faster blade head speed & are capable of generating the optimal spin on more strokes than the rest of us mortals.

This is also why, reportedly, players like Samsonov & Quadri (who use ESN) reportedly use harder sponges than commercially available. Also why T05 pros (like Boll) get the heaviest sheets for their FH (the assumption being that the heavier sheets have the harder sponges).

Once you do get used to a rubber (ie: have strokes developed to generate optimal spin for those hardness sponge), you shall not like the performance when you move to either a harder or softer sponge unless you change your stroke.

That being said, the current thin-topsheet rubbers obfuscate this.

Not all rubbers though. For example, take the stroke of looping a (slow) half-long no-spin serve. I find that R47 is not very good at this (very stiff topsheet).

However, Rhyzer 48 (thin topsheet like R47 but unlike R47 topsheet, this one is softer) is excellent at this. Of course, then, it must 'give back' some gains somewhere else (I haven't played enough, but so far, I feel that it may be in looping very high velocity no-spin strokes).

Re: T05 - it is just that most club level players (1700 - 2200) have racket head speeds with which they can generate optimal spin on standard starting strokes using T05.

Admittedly, I am generalizing a bit here but: I can see this in many athletic European (T05-using) player matches live (and I saw this in 2017 Joola NA Teams as well). While these player are slower (and less explosive at the table) than the Chinese pros, their greater muscle mass means that they can generate more power away from the table once there with the same equipment. Once both players are counterlooping away from the table, this point is obvious: they have reached their spin limit with T05 at lower speed (in other words, for those away-from-the-table strokes, a harder sponged ESN rubber with smaller pores size would give them better spin). But, of course, that is not the only stroke at which they would be able to get better spin.

Of course, this does not mean that any harder sponged rubber would offer better spin than T05 at higher impact loops. Just the better varietals.

Edited by slevin - 04/02/2018 at 2:45pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2018 at 3:13pm
Here's the thing, since we are talking about different esn generations, take g1,mxp and r47, they are all supposed to be the same hardness more or less, but you can see that they are very different at low speed shots.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2018 at 4:12pm

Here's the thing, since we are talking about different esn generations, take g1,mxp and r47, they are all supposed to be the same hardness more or less, but you can see that they are very different at low speed shots.

Yes, due to variations in the other 4 attributes I mentioned above (pore size, pip structure, etc). But if you vary only one property (sponge hardness in my example above) and keep the rest constant, I think that the above relationship works.

Anyways, my post was dissecting a bit too much, isn't it! As is correctly often said, proper training trumps everything.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2018 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Yes, due to variations in the other 4 attributes I mentioned above (pore size, pip structure, etc). But if you vary only one property (sponge hardness in my example above) and keep the rest constant, I think that the above relationship works.

Anyways, my post was dissecting a bit too much, isn't it! As is correctly often said, proper training trumps everything.

I agree with you on the 'what is causing this rubber behaviour?' part, but I am mostly interested in the 'why is ESN going in this direction?' , if you think of the average club player, they really don't have the hand-speed to use these effectively.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 1:23am
One thing that I really hate abt these new gen rubbers is the not so great spin on serves compared to the older generation stuff.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 3:04am
EL-S vs. Bluestorm Z1 regarding durability ?
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

EL-S vs. Bluestorm Z1 regarding durability ?

Durability is better on Bluestorm , try it again last night , both rubbers was on the same kind of blade, ELS is a bit slower and still not enough spin, Bluestorm is a bit better but nothing like wow, just order T05 😣
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 11:56am
I played with ELS for few months. Went back to T05 as well. My 7 month old T05 spins better than 2-3 month old ELS, same hours per week played.
Tried Bluestorm on a friend's racket and didn't like the feel too much. Cant comment on spin capabilities.

Edited by DreiZ - 04/03/2018 at 11:57am
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2018 at 12:20pm
Z1 Is pretty durable compared to EL-S. Seems to hold it top sheet well.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2018 at 2:43am
Against heavy underspin Z1 and ELS are faster than T05, aren 't they?
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2018 at 10:49am

Kinda , it’s easier to lift but will not have a bunch of spin, that was my issue, both are super easy to play with, but nothing good on the ball
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Chopper88 Chopper88 wrote:

Kinda , it’s easier to lift but will not have a bunch of spin, that was my issue, both are super easy to play with, but nothing good on the ball

Playing table tennis for 37 years, I think that a secure fast loop is much better than a slow spinny loop that is also
more difficult to execute because the spinny rubber is very susceptible to opponent's spin.

Edited by Stavros - 04/07/2018 at 11:58am
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2018 at 1:13pm
Great discussion and since all of you are using or have used these modern ESN rubbers I'd like your input on a few things.

From the following rubbers:

Z1
MX-P
R48
Aurus Prime
Gold Arc 8
Tenergy 05

1) Rate them in terms of spin on serves and slow spiny opening loops

2) Rate them in terms of topspin rallies

3) Rate them in terms of speed

4) Rate them in terms of durability ( shrinkage, topsheet or sponge crumbling )

5) Is it still worth spending $70+ for Tenergy rubbers?

Thanks in advance.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2018 at 1:38pm
Go for a MX-P with the 4 for 3 deal and buy some booster, best value for money to be honest. I don't like ultramax rubbers for forehand as they are too linear 

I use Aurus Prime on BH because I like the dwell of ultramax, but most importantly soft topsheet for backhand flicks.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Go for a MX-P with the 4 for 3 deal and buy some booster, best value for money to be honest. I don't like ultramax rubbers for forehand as they are too linear 

I use Aurus Prime on BH because I like the dwell of ultramax, but most importantly soft topsheet for backhand flicks.

I have had used MX-P in max thickness for about a year before switching to DHS GA 8. It was a crazy good rubber, super fast, great on serves and slow spiny loops but it was hard to do counter rallies from mid distance as it required greater power/effort. This was evident especially after a couple of weeks of usage when the factory booster started wearing off and the rubber started to shrink.

Due to these reasons I tried DHS GA 8 and fell in love with it, although it is not as fast or spiny, it suits my game and gives me great confidence in pressure situations and it's quite durable. I gave trials and got selected for Nationals with this great rubber. However, now that I am playing with much higher rated players ( National Level ) I feel that it's lacking the speed and spin to cause my opponents much difficulty in returning my shots.

I have tried Tenergy 05, 64, 80 briefly and switched them on my BH as for some reason I could not utilize them to their full potential on my FH. I could not generate enough speed or spin with them as compared to MX-P or DHA GA 8. Could it be my technique or case of fake Tenergies?
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 9:39pm
Got a chance tonight to hit with my new T05, it start feeling slow the once it kinda like broken in , wow I forgot how much I like this rubber, my serves were about the same but looping was with better spin, play a 1800-1900ish chopper, I had no issue looping his best chops with his LP, 
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 3:13pm
A friend of mine who has played both rubbers, say that spin and control are similar to both rubbers. Z1 is slightly faster.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2018 at 2:34am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

I have had used MX-P in max thickness for about a year before switching to DHS GA 8. It was a crazy good rubber, super fast, great on serves and slow spiny loops but it was hard to do counter rallies from mid distance as it required greater power/effort. This was evident especially after a couple of weeks of usage when the factory booster started wearing off and the rubber started to shrink.

Due to these reasons I tried DHS GA 8 and fell in love with it, although it is not as fast or spiny, it suits my game and gives me great confidence in pressure situations and it's quite durable. I gave trials and got selected for Nationals with this great rubber. However, now that I am playing with much higher rated players ( National Level ) I feel that it's lacking the speed and spin to cause my opponents much difficulty in returning my shots.

I have tried Tenergy 05, 64, 80 briefly and switched them on my BH as for some reason I could not utilize them to their full potential on my FH. I could not generate enough speed or spin with them as compared to MX-P or DHA GA 8. Could it be my technique or case of fake Tenergies?

MXP lacks power? It's a lot faster than most rubbers, and at least as fast as those rubbers you speak of. It is a firm rubber once boost effect wears off so maybe that's why
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2018 at 2:35am
A lot of top players in the UK like boosted MXP both sides with a 7 ply clipper like blade (namely FPBE), talking top 5
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic