Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Supinate vs Pronate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

and pronates heavily on his FH loop.
Oh man :)
You can not see cases when he pronates on FH :) ?
Take a closer look at almost each reverse cross and fast active FH block - you will see it. 

Even more - it's a right technics.

Edited by Valiantsin - 11/14/2020 at 4:52pm
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 4:48pm

I am very, very interested in seeing a video where you pronate as part of a BH loop. I just don't see how it can happen. The FZD video, if you slow it down shows clearly that each and every one of his BH loops is powered by supination, not pronation. 
It's actually easy to do.

Will try to create this video for you in like an hour first with explanation and after - with actual movement :)

BTW I am not insisting :) 
Just funny :) 

Anyway everybody can see whatever he/she wants to see :) 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

He said Fan pronates on backhand. I try to take what people write as seriously and charitably as I can.
Exactly :)

Lol yeah that's wrong, you pronate on the FH and supinate on the BH....
Lol that's right :) 
Compiled a short video - which just shows, that mb NextLevel does supnation, mb you do that, but FZD - no:
FZD pronates on BH and returns hand through the right side.:
Actually he pronates shoulder and wrist as well.

Even I can do both variants and if needed can make a short video to show both variants. (Angle of camera should be proper - otherwise it's not obvious which motion goes to make a hit).

This year had pretty much spare time without TT partners (as many of us this year :) :) :) ) so studied it in 3 weeks - have video of flat hits with not evident pronation/supnation - it's just a supportive exercise to learn this technique. 

I had sime time ago also short compilation on real base difference between europe bh and chinese bh where Dmitry Ovtcharov shows euro and MaLong shows chinese approach.
Pretty interesting I belive :) 
But lost it accidentally - anyway the approach is known and can restore if needed.

I am very, very interested in seeing a video where you pronate as part of a BH loop. I just don't see how it can happen. The FZD video, if you slow it down shows clearly that each and every one of his BH loops is powered by supination, not pronation. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I can see fzd's bh pronating in the back swing, now I get it!

If you supinate during the actual stroke, of course the backswing is the opposite ie pronation. Dima does the exact same thing. I don't see what exactly Fan Zhendong is doing differently....he is one of the players who supinates heavily on his BH loop and pronates heavily on his FH loop.
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

That one seems forced a bit. I've watched a lot of chopping videos and dont recall seeing that kind of exaggerated movement. Joo se hyuk, han ying etc. I think in jsh tutorial video he directly says he tries not to use his wrist much. 

I'm sure there are different techniques etc. But that is one I've not really seen before, maybe other than wide backhand shots to angle the ball back toward the table 
Hi obesechopper,
Do not know even what to tell you :) 

I am not insisting - I just showed you the way.

That info is actually a part of knowledge that cost me time and money and I shared with you it for free. 
I would be thankful if I were you.

Edited by Valiantsin - 11/14/2020 at 2:06pm
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 12:21pm

Time to open a screwy thread about pronating the bh; the SH BH chop block or PH punch BH block along the line are so yesterday!
Joke aside, when Gauzy flicks a ball on his short fh with his bh rubber (the strawberry?), it's a pronation where the bh is somehow involved. 

Lol yes that is the exception, the strawberry (as well as the BH pendulum serve) involves forearm pronation...
BH chop also involves pronation.
For example I did such a sample :
Blade: Yinhe T11s Black: Fastarc G1, Red: Bluegrip R1

That one seems forced a bit. I've watched a lot of chopping videos and dont recall seeing that kind of exaggerated movement. Joo se hyuk, han ying etc. I think in jsh tutorial video he directly says he tries not to use his wrist much. 

I'm sure there are different techniques etc. But that is one I've not really seen before, maybe other than wide backhand shots to angle the ball back toward the table 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 10:01am

Hi stiltt,
It means that my efforts are not lost :) 

Actually there are so many differences in techniques starting from foot placement till fingers grip and actual movement of each part of our bodies together with additional training exercises to achieve that and theory on why one better than another and in which situations for which players, that it can be like new epic story :)  
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 9:50am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 9:33am
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Actually pronation works fine as a backhand drive from a very closes vat angle. It adds to the upwards brush instead of the over brush. Liam Pitchford uses it a lot, and he is right on many of those links he pronated a small amount while keeping on the whole a rather closed face.
Supine motion is excellent for very spin filled shots and probation adds to the power more. Like how dima told Dan to hit through the ball more pros value spin but also use it as a tool to get lots of direct motion.
Back from the table fzd used a lot of pronation to hit a flatter faster shot.
In fact I have recently added it to my game and went from a bad backhand where my only deadly shot quality was spin to bieng able to hit decently fast, you can brush up still with pronation so I used it mostly on back from the table or higher balls

FZD uses it alot on his "bananas" receives the only thing is that this is not an old version of bananas, but modern optimised topspin under the table on receives.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 9:28am

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but pronation is the exact opposite direction of supination...pronation is turning your palm from upwards facing to downwards facing... The BH loop can only be supination otherwise you'll be going from a closed racket angle to an open racket angle which can't work for a loop.
Exactly!
They are opposite movements.
 You just need to understand that both supination and pronation are just movements which you may use to produce spin/speed.
Take a look at FZD video I posted.
The bat goes from horizontal to vertical position. It is exactly what you mentioned saying "going from a closed racket angle to an open racket angle " the only mistake was that it can not produce spin.
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 9:09am
Actually pronation works fine as a backhand drive from a very closes vat angle. It adds to the upwards brush instead of the over brush. Liam Pitchford uses it a lot, and he is right on many of those links he pronated a small amount while keeping on the whole a rather closed face.
Supine motion is excellent for very spin filled shots and probation adds to the power more. Like how dima told Dan to hit through the ball more pros value spin but also use it as a tool to get lots of direct motion.
Back from the table fzd used a lot of pronation to hit a flatter faster shot.
In fact I have recently added it to my game and went from a bad backhand where my only deadly shot quality was spin to bieng able to hit decently fast, you can brush up still with pronation so I used it mostly on back from the table or higher balls
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 8:12am

He said Fan pronates on backhand. I try to take what people write as seriously and charitably as I can.

Compiled a short video - which just shows, that mb NextLevel does supnation, mb you do that, but FZD - no:

Even I can do both variants and if needed can make a short video to show both variants. (Angle of camera should be proper - otherwise it's not obvious which motion goes to make a hit).

This year had pretty much spare time without TT partners (as many of us this year :) :) :) ) so studied it in 3 weeks - have video of flat hits with not evident pronation/supnation - it's just a supportive exercise to learn this technique. 

I had sime time ago also short compilation on real base difference between europe bh and chinese bh where Dmitry Ovtcharov shows euro and MaLong shows chinese approach.
But lost it accidentally - anyway the approach is known and can restore if needed.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but pronation is the exact opposite direction of supination...pronation is turning your palm from upwards facing to downwards facing... The BH loop can only be supination otherwise you'll be going from a closed racket angle to an open racket angle which can't work for a loop.
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 9:01pm

BTW pronate on FH is also not so always true.
For example: revers cross, flip, short game and chop - also - can be supination on FH - of course depending on who uses which technique.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 8:32pm

Time to open a screwy thread about pronating the bh; the SH BH chop block or PH punch BH block along the line are so yesterday!
Joke aside, when Gauzy flicks a ball on his short fh with his bh rubber (the strawberry?), it's a pronation where the bh is somehow involved. 

Lol yes that is the exception, the strawberry (as well as the BH pendulum serve) involves forearm pronation...
BH chop also involves pronation.
For example I did such a sample :
Blade: Yinhe T11s Black: Fastarc G1, Red: Bluegrip R1

Edited by Valiantsin - 11/13/2020 at 8:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 7:22pm

Edited by Valiantsin - 11/13/2020 at 7:51pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 6:49pm

-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 6:13pm

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Now that these rubbers have been out for a while which do you prefer  and why. I switched to Dignics but might be going back to Tenergy.   

I think people who enjoyed playing with Tenergy should stick to Tenergy and if you didn't like Tenergy, Dignics is worth a try (or even 05 Hard).  Harder sponge is probably the way to go with this ball for most good players but I haven't been able to play well with harder sponge.  I use fast blade and 45-47 degree sponge spinny rubbers.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 5:50pm
But anyway this thread has been hijacked too much, the original topic was Dignics vs Tenergy.....
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 5:45pm
-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 5:26pm

Lmao I don't understand the confusion here, forearm pronation and supination are scientific terms for a specific movement. You supinate every time you turn a door knob or unscrew a bottle cap. 

Valiantsin is correct in saying that it can be applied towards the heaviest topspins as well as flat hitting, even Ito Mima's BH flathit is almost purely supination. And yes Ovtcharov's powerful topspin BH is mostly supination too. 

Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 4:21pm
Lmao I don't understand the confusion here, forearm pronation and supination are scientific terms for a specific movement. You supinate every time you turn a door knob or unscrew a bottle cap. 

Valiantsin is correct in saying that it can be applied towards the heaviest topspins as well as flat hitting, even Ito Mima's BH flathit is almost purely supination. And yes Ovtcharov's powerful topspin BH is mostly supination too. 

Edited by blahness - 11/13/2020 at 4:31pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 9:20am

supination and pronation are used to increase power or reduce movement path.
Ovtcharov mostly supinates on BH, while Fan pronates.
What was shown on video can be used for both flat hit and for heaviest topspin.

Maybe I am just not clear on what blahness and you mean by pronation and supination.  That may be confusing me.
Believe need to create one more video to explain better. Contact point and overall body biomechanics are crucial.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 9:05am

Maybe I am just not clear on what blahness and you mean by pronation and supination.  That may be confusing me.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 8:57am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 8:42am

I don't think we are on different pages here. It is a part of a larger stroke which involves the legs, core, body rotation, forearm snap, all of which are as important. Obviously if you just have pronation/supination, you only get a spinny shot with no power at all which is not all that useful, however this detail helps with stability and spin on an existing stroke hugely. 

There are benefits to isolating the movement in terms of understanding the contact mechanisms. 

Btw, the way Jang Woo Jin does it, he supinates for pretty much every single BH shot he does even in his demonstrations lol... But he doesn't do it to the degree that Fan Zhendong or Liang Jingkun or Ovtcharov does for eg... But then again he isn't exactly known for his BH prowess. Those who have stronger forearm muscles can pronate/supinate more strongly to increase the bat acceleration (and thus spin/speed) further. 

Everyone in those videos is supinating so I am not sure why you are focusing on Jang Woojin (maybe his playing level?)   They are doing it without breaking the plane of their swing when they contact the ball. 

And here is LowerLevel supinating as well without any of the class or quality of the aforementioned players who are all too good for me:

https://youtu.be/N_P72IXZMVA?t=8

I could get videos from the others you mentioned that show they aren't that different but I won't belabor the point but to just some from Dima.  

All I am saying that your demonstration doesn't show how one would play a topspin with supination.  I am just giving examples so that they can be distinguished from what you demonstrated.   If you snapped into contact with the ball and kept a plane, I wouldn't be posting all this.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/13/2020 at 8:45am
Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 8:27am
I don't think we are on different pages here. It is a part of a larger stroke which involves the legs, core, body rotation, forearm snap, all of which are as important. Obviously if you just have pronation/supination, you only get a spinny shot with no power at all which is not all that useful, however this detail helps with stability and spin on an existing stroke hugely. 

There are benefits to isolating the movement in terms of understanding the contact mechanisms. 

Btw, the way Jang Woo Jin does it, he supinates for pretty much every single BH shot he does even in his demonstrations lol... But he doesn't do it to the degree that Fan Zhendong or Liang Jingkun or Ovtcharov does for eg... But then again he isn't exactly known for his BH prowess. Those who have stronger forearm muscles can pronate/supinate more strongly to increase the bat acceleration (and thus spin/speed) further. 
-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 8:05am

For reference this is what I was referring to. 

I think it would look better if you did it the way it was used to hit a ball.  It looks extremely unnatural without the forward motion from the elbow/forearm snap and rarely if ever takes place over as large a range as you show.

I had to hold the camera in one hand lol...but yes I intentionally separated it from the other components (forearm snap+body rotation) to make the mechanism clearer. But I disagree about the range shown being too large, if you combine it with the entire swing plane (imagine the pronation being done throughout the stroke), it looks a lot more subtle, I can have a stroke with pronation/supination and one without, and they will look almost the same. If you look at for eg Ovtcharov's BH loop and compare his blade angles between start and end, his range of supination is even larger than what I shown here, especially against underspin. 

Okay.  I think the last sentence is true, but that is because the distance over which supination occurs is controlled by more than just the elbow joint so you can't have supination without forcing it.  Hence my point that when it happens throughout the swing plane, it doesn't need to be a pronounced as you make out.  In any case,  the way you do it is not the way most people use it to hit a ball.

That I believe is biomechanically incorrect. The range of movement  of forearm supination is controlled solely from the forearm and nothing else.  See

If you watch the blade angle changes between start and finish for the modern players, their start and finishing angles wouldn't look the way they look if not for the pronation and supination they are doing. 

Also if you look at out of position strong shots, you will see ample evidence of the pronation/supination. 

The supination mechanism has huge amounts of power reserves, but if you haven't really focused on it, it would be weak. There's some degree of strength training required for this muscle. Recently TableTennisDaily had a video with Ovtcharov, and he commented that Dan was not strong enough in his forearm which is why he's not explosive enough. 

If you look at other sports (tennis, badminton for eg), pronation/supination Is really one of the basics, for good reason.

What I did looks weird to you, because you haven't really realised how to use it to its fullest extents. 

Okay - I fixed my post before your finished responding to it but probably while you were editing.

I won't get into what I don't realize.  I am just pointing out that for a looping stroke, your demonstration seems to hit excessively into the ball.  

Here is Dan Ives of TTD doing what I the stroke - it forms a plane with the ball and snaps into it:

https://youtu.be/2QoQh3_12WE?t=44

Here is YangYang:

https://youtu.be/VLQHP609pzQ?t=173

Here is Jang Woojin using it vs topspin:

https://youtu.be/RI8u-xmEP5g?t=124

Here is Jang Woojin discouraging what you are demonstrating except for possibly on Chiquitas (and he isn't quite breaking the plane of motion of his wrist either):

https://youtu.be/RI8u-xmEP5g?t=297

My other point is that there are other parts of the body including the bowing motion and the movement of the shoulder joint and hip rotation that add to the effect of supination so that when hitting a ball, it isn't exclusively about the elbow motion.  I don't doubt you can supinate on a few shots like that but it isn't what most people hit the ball with unless they are trying to trap spin they didn't prepare for.

In any case I have gone on about this a bit too long.  My apologies for making it an issue.  I agree that there is some supination and pronation but I don't think your arm motions shadow what is going on when playing a topspin because the wrist is being overused without forming a angle that spins the ball.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/13/2020 at 8:08am
Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 7:14am

I think it would look better if you did it the way it was used to hit a ball.  It looks extremely unnatural without the forward motion from the elbow/forearm snap and rarely if ever takes place over as large a range as you show.

I had to hold the camera in one hand lol...but yes I intentionally separated it from the other components (forearm snap+body rotation) to make the mechanism clearer. But I disagree about the range shown being too large, if you combine it with the entire swing plane (imagine the pronation being done throughout the stroke), it looks a lot more subtle, I can have a stroke with pronation/supination and one without, and they will look almost the same. If you look at for eg Ovtcharov's BH loop and compare his blade angles between start and end, his range of supination is even larger than what I shown here, especially against underspin. 

Okay.  I think the last sentence is true, but that is because the distance over which supination occurs is controlled by more than just the elbow joint so you can't have supination without forcing it.  Hence my point that when it happens throughout the swing plane, it doesn't need to be a pronounced as you make out.  In any case,  the way you do it is not the way most people use it to hit a ball.

That I believe is biomechanically incorrect. The range of movement  of forearm supination is controlled solely from the forearm and nothing else.  See

If you watch the blade angle changes between start and finish for the modern players, their start and finishing angles wouldn't look the way they look if not for the pronation and supination they are doing. 

Also if you look at out of position strong shots, you will see ample evidence of the pronation/supination. 

The supination mechanism has huge amounts of power reserves, but if you haven't really focused on it, it would be weak. There's some degree of strength training required for this muscle. Recently TableTennisDaily had a video with Ovtcharov, and he commented that Dan was not strong enough in his forearm which is why he's not explosive enough. 

If you look at other sports (tennis, badminton for eg), pronation/supination Is really one of the basics, for good reason.

What I did looks weird to you, because you haven't really realised how to use it to its fullest extents. 

-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 6:42am

Okay.  I think the last sentence is true, but that is because the distance over which supination occurs is controlled by more than just the elbow joint so you CAN have supination without forcing it.  Hence my point that when it happens throughout the swing plane, it doesn't need to be a pronounced as you make out.  In any case,  the way you do it is not the way most people use it to hit a ball.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/13/2020 at 7:03am
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic